Friday, June 28, 2013

Slowing Down?



My husband sent me an article about a new study that finds workers over 60 are just as productive as young workers.  As one, I can tell you honestly that I don’t have the stamina of colleagues half my age in the office but I do have the decided advantage of lots of experience, so I can be pretty efficient and fast when I need to be.   (The only thing that still completely flummoxes me is that whole hash-tag social media thing.)

So why, you ask, is he sending me this article?  Could it be he never wants me to retire?
My husband thinks retirement will be a one-way ticket to long term care for me.  I know he worries about my sliding into dementia if I don’t have at least 15 things to do each day (3 meals to make plus lunch for my daughter, 2 dog meals and 3 dog walks, plus a load or 2 of laundry, never mind the human interaction stuff…and this is before I even think about using my brain!).  

But here’s the thing:  I know how to fill a day.  The following is a blow-by-blow recreation of a typical Friday when I don’t work…which my husband calls my “vacation day.” 
6:00-8.30am:  Get household up and at-em, including Mrs. Sedd and daughter.  Chauffeur child to school.

8:30-8:45 am:   On the way home, stop at the nearest Starbucks.  Stand in line while waiting to get a vente iced Decaf Americano, no water.
9:00 am:    Arrive home.  Turn on computer with coffee at the ready.  Get online and do office email, read papers, write blog posts.

11:45 am:  Think about lunch then eat it.
12:30-2:30 pm:  Conduct errands, e.g., get gas, money, groceries, dry cleaning, birthday presents for daughter’s friends (complete at least 3 tasks in that timeframe).

2:30-2:45pm:  Walk dog and provide treat for performance (“good dog”).
3:00 pm:  Get daughter; wait in pick-up line at school for 3:30 dismissal and play “Subway Surfer” on smart phone.

3:50 pm:  Arrive home; review mail and debrief on dinner preferences with daughter.
4:10 pm:  Feed dog.

4:15 pm:  Place load of laundry in washer; fold laundry in dryer.

4:45 pm:  Plan dinner; communicate with husband regarding his ETA at our castle.
5:00 pm:  Pour glass of wine

Elapsed time:  11 hours
Yup, I sure am slowing down.

Happy weekend, everyone. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment