Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Ornery





Some days I’m just ornery.  
I had a lovely beach weekend with my daughter and my BFF but came home (as one must) to the reality of my usual, work-a-day world.  A full if uneventful day at the office…a husband unusually hungry for dinner…a missing ATM card…an early morning business call the next day that I had failed to bring home my computer for…and yes, I was ornery at the end of my day yesterday.

So ornery that when my husband demanded to know when we were eating dinner – and what -- when I had been home just 10 minutes and I’m already in the kitchen flipping his omelet(!), I let fly with a few choice words.
So ornery that my daughter asked if I was mad about something and I snapped, “No!”

So ornery that my husband said I shouted out in my sleep last night, “Hey, hey, HEY!!!,” clearly angry at someone in my dream.
That ornery.

I do tend to get especially testy on the first day of reentry after a lovely weekend (or week) away from a normal routine.  (There is a record of past behavior to support this observation, trust me).  Also, lack of sleep when I’m away from my normal bed and world can contribute to general ornery-ness for a day or so until I’m caught up again in my usual rhythms of living.
Whatever happened in my sleep last night, however, seems to have cleared the cobwebs in my head away today.  I woke up feeling like…Happy, not Grumpy.

And then, the heavens opened.  My husband gave me $60 because of my missing ATM card…which my daughter found 10 minutes later in my orange cross-body bag in a pile of her clean clothing left over from the beach, lying on the top of her dresser (a preferred storage technique for my tween).  My husband laughed at me when I returned his $60, waving my ATM card, and he gave me a kiss, too…implicitly making fun of, and forgiving me for, my bad humor of the day before.  I kissed him back.
Next time though, I hope he gives me at least 20 minutes to get his dinner prepared.  (I’m just saying….) 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment