Thursday, March 19, 2015

Fifty Shades of Cinderella...and Cookie





I thought I'd offer up some musings that probably reveal a lot about my Baby Boomer demo:  I passed up the opportunity to (belatedly) see Fifty Shades of Gray to attend an opening day showing of Cinderella.  That’s right.  Sixty-two and a Disney Princess Forever.
While it’s true I was bored anytime Cate Blanchett’s wicked stepmother wasn’t on-screen – which was far too often – I still got a kick out of a beloved tale told with some style.  Visually, the movie was stunning:  Vivid blues and golds, silvers and pinks and for Stepmom, chartreuse.  Helena Bonham Carter, a true English eccentric and always a fun actress to watch, was a kick as the Fairy Godmother.  The young actress who played Cinderella was utterly charming – blonde (of course), beautiful (natch) but very winning (not too sweet, not too sour).  Only the Prince was a disappointment, but that’s not an uncommon occurrence when it comes to princes, so it didn’t bother me.  I generally loved it.

At some point, I’ll see Fifty Shades (probably on DVR with my husband, so we can giggle together) but I can wait.  I slogged through the books and have a pretty good idea of how things go down in the Red Room (smile).
But then there’s Empire and crazy, angry, utterly lovable in her own unscrupulous way Cookie Lyon, and her ex-husband, the sexy, surly, seriously bad Lucious Lyon, Rap Mogul Extraordinaire played by Terrence Howard.  The 2-hour finale was as bonkers and over the top as I’d hoped for, down to Terrence Howard’s final line as he stares at the camera through the bars of his jail cell:  Game time, bitches!”

I guess you can tell that I haven’t been doing much reading lately.
On that note, I’ve gotta go, bitches.  Game time at the office.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment