Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Blahs




Every year, I find the month of February to be more annoying and less enjoyable than the year before. This year, I had lots and lots of reasons to want the shortest month to fly by – my husband’s knee replacement surgery, for one thing, the brutal cold for another and the unrelenting stream of snow, ice and rain storms drifting their way across the country to our little piece of heaven in Northern Virginia. 

Let’s start with the surgery.  First, the good news – my husband is on the mend having progressed from a walker to a cane this week, and his surgeon is a genius:  The knee itself looks like something out of Frankenstein, but boy is that incision clean.  Of course, the first week I was panicked by my role as head nurse, keeping track of the administration of serious drugs and putting him on machines to move the knee and ice the knee and generally help him heal.  And then, of course, I was worried about the weather because of my role as carpool mom and provider of all food for  family consumption – when he scheduled the surgery, he told me the weather report for mid-February to late March was relatively benign. 
LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE.

Of course I love him, and so I have forgiven him.  But this is the last mid-winter surgery (the 2 foot surgeries 3 years ago were also January and February events!) I will ever put up with again!  Ever!!

Then there’s the weather itself.  Pure misery.  I’ve decided I really hate the cold and, although I used to make fun of it in my youthful thirties, I now understand the whole concept of snowbirds.  I want Gulf Coast Florida in my life and I want it NOW.  Sadly, and along with the whole East Coast, I’ll have to make do with about 5+ inches of snow tonight instead.
Plus it’s tax time…and tuition time…and just about grey outside all the time.

I need some spring in the air and in my step.  I need a beach.  I need a break. I need a bottle of wine and a nice hunk of cheese while sitting at an outside cafĂ© watching pigeons swoop and poop….
Ok, I’m done now.  Forgive me.  I’ve got the Blahs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment