Thursday, August 7, 2014

Ohm


I was talking with a dear friend this morning about the power of meditation and how it helps her navigate a demanding professional life.    Somehow she has learned to make the time to quiet her mind enough so that she can occupy a spiritual space of contemplation and, dare I say it, calm and contentment.
Damn.  Wish I knew how to do that.

Whenever I’ve tried to meditate, I find that within 60 seconds my brain-junk is busily disruptive and making noise, noise, noise.
I try deep breathing.  I try counting backwards.  I try focusing on a single word or thought.  I work on visualizing the ocean, let’s say, or a flower-filled garden.

And the chatter begins.  What will I make for dinner?  What did I forget to do today?  Why did I say what I said to so-and-so…and why did so-and-so say that to me?
You get the picture.

But today, my more enlightened friend intrigued me by describing the value of her meditations in a manner that was compelling:   It provides the perspective and empowerment of detachment.  
To paraphrase that scene from When Harry Met Sally:  I want what she's having.

I’m in a place in life right now where that power of detachment, as well as the calm and empathy it can bring, feels very right to me. ...a way of acknowledging the need to prepare for many life changes ahead as my parents pass, my daughter grows up and into her own life, and my wonderful husband and I look for one last adventure in ours.

I'm really not trying to be grim here; rather, I think it's wonderful to be intentional about emotional investments. As the swirl of change gathers force in my life, I'd rather face it with a feeling of steadiness and serenity rather than fear of the unknown or a compulsive urge to act.
Sign me up for that! 
So maybe it's time to give meditation another go. Now if only I can get my unquiet mind to shut the f-up....

Happy Thursday.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment