Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Birthday Bash





My tween is 13.
 
This weekend 12 of her friends will decamp to Casa Sedd for a ‘60s themed  sleepover celebration, whatever that means.  My husband and I will have custodial responsibility and party management chores from 4pm until 10am the following morning.
18 hours.  That’s right, we are nuts.

Assuming that these girls -- or some combination thereof -- sleep for 6-8 hours, that still leaves me with roughly 10 hours to fill.  So here’s my plan (with some limited input from my daughter).
4-4.30pm:    Meet, greet, and enjoy hors d’oeuvres in the living room (Please note:  this is my daughter’s idea and I’m a little worried about my sofas…so jury’s out on this one)

4:30-5:00ish:   Whipped cream pie in the face fight on the backyard patio (her idea).  My daughter seems to think that shower caps will serve as sufficient coverage to prevent an evening of icky hair for participants.  Jury’s out on this one, too.
5:00-6ish:  Get party started in the family room and make sure it stays there.  Charades, anyone? Karoake?  Dancing to the Beatles, Cream and Led Zeppelin, perhaps? (Remember:  The theme is the ‘60s.  And I haven’t a clue why that appeals to my daughter, other than to encourage her parents to sing along with Robert Plant or Eric Clapton.  Not.)

 6:15:  Pizza, pizza, pizza.
7:00:  The ritual opening of presents.  Always a decent time-killer.

7:30:  Cupcakes, candles and hot fudge sundaes served up buffet style.
7:45   Any decent movie that isn’t “R” rated from “On Demand.”  Only criteria is that is is at least 100 minutes long and not too violent.

9:30ish   Order (nicely) partygoers to get dressed for bed.  Pop some corn. Help party guests locate a few square feet of floor for their even fewer moments of sleep.
9:45  Movie #2.  Same criteria as above, although a 90 minute running time is preferred given the lateness of the hour.

Midnight.  Lights out, parents head upstairs, ghost storytellers and gossip girls compete for attention…and I’m in my own bed, door closed, can’t hear a thing, I hope!
This is a busy week, and I have the royal bash to prepare for, so expect my next report fron the domestic front sometime next week.

Until then, Peace (sign). Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment