Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Weary



Have you ever noticed that the relaxing – indeed, narcotizing – effects of vacation wear off almost within minutes of getting back to work?

That’s how it’s been for me since my return from that land of rainbows known as St. Lucia in the West Indies.  Arriving home late and returning to the office early the next morning, I dug out from email and faced a road warrior reality of several business trips and new business presentations within days.  Days of early rising (5am-ish) and later hours (home by 10?) followed, dimming whatever “glow” I had earned during my time off.  Indeed, I have welcomed back my old familiar friends – a.k.a. dark circles, puffy eyelids and periodic bad humor.

Don’t get me wrong:  I’m glad to have a job and enjoy the work I’m doing at the moment.  But I’m just not as resilient as I used to be.
That’s why I’m already thinking about an August break at the beach in Delaware and the reality that we’re closing in on the half-year mark soon.  (Ok, in 2 months or so).  I find it helps me battle fatigue by focusing on future opportunities for relaxation.  Onward to the next vacation -- stat!!

Anyway, hope you’re fine and enjoying the first stirrings of springtime.  As for me, it’s time to get to work.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment