Monday, December 9, 2013

Baby It's Cold Outside



Winter has arrived in Arlington, VA.  Snow turned to ice rain in our little corner of heaven yesterday, leaving my car, the front steps, driveway, sidewalks and the streets coated in a thin sheet of ice, as lethal as it is glistening.   My daughter’s school started 2 hours late, my dog refused to have anything to do with the outdoors, and my husband and I both took the easier option of a “work from home” day.
There’s not enough of anything left on the ground for the neighborhood kids to sled on, or for one of those leisurely strolls in freshly falling snow when everything is so eerily and beautifully…still.  But tomorrow, the forecast is for snow:  1 to 4, or 5 inches or more, depending on which news organization and meteorologist you listen to.  Outside, you can feel it in the air, waiting to fall, with the temperature a damp and chilly high 30s.

Although this is the perfect time of year for winter weather to interrupt our daily schedules (please!), I know too that by mid-January, I’ll be hallucinating about our spring break vacation to a warm Caribbean island, only to be unwillingly snapped out of my daze with a blast of mid-winter frigidity. Neither the warmth of a fireplace nor the deception of a sunny day will compensate for my immediate, urgent need for sun-saturated endorphins.
But until then, I’ll focus on snow and Santa while listening to Kelly Clarkson’s new Christmas album (wonderful!!) as winter works its will on the Washington, D.C. metro area.  And I’ll be sure to bundle up because there is nothing worse than a Christmas cold.

Stay warm, too.  You’ve been warned.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment