Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Fashionista Christmas





I miss my daughter’s “little girl” Christmases of old – the days of $10 Barbies from Target, plastic tea sets, story books,  coloring kits and a Snow White or Cinderella costume to make it really special. A few of those items were more than enough to satisfy a 6 year-old that Santa had been very generous in recognition of her good behavior during the year.

But bye, bye miss American Pie – hello, fashionista!  My 13 year-old has discovered clothes and brands.  She wants shirts from Justice and Forever 21 sweaters and American Eagle jeggings and Abercrombie and Fitch perfume.

She also wants a new American Girl doll (which personally I find kind of sweet) because she loves to play with the long thick hair. And sometimes cut it.
This Christmas is shaping up to be a transitional year, with a bit of the girl mixed in with the emerging persona of the young teen:  in other words, I can’t tentatively say that maybe Santa will bring that [fill in the blank]” or she’ll tell me to knock it off and roll her eyes at me.   Some of the wearable gift items that I’m getting for her actually are needed, too, even if she doesn’t want them , e.g., the LL Bean snow boots to replace the pair that don’t fit anymore, and the winter down vest because I can’t get her to wear a coat on even the coldest days (What is it with these kids today, they never get cold???).

Even though I know she wants another blond American girl doll -- if Santa does bring her one -- I think she’ll be a redhead just to keep it interesting.
I always start out with the best of intentions to not overspend or overly commercialize our family’s holiday experience.  And I always try to make sure that our daughter understands how lucky we are and how important it is to give to those less fortunate.

During this Christmas of transformation from tween to teen, I hope I’ll succeed in delighting my beautiful daughter while also communicating that happiness doesn’t only come in a pretty box with a gold ribbon around it.  
Wish me luck.   Now I’m off to American Eagle for those jeggings….

 


No comments:

Post a Comment