Thursday, February 20, 2014

60 Degrees of Separation






Goodbye snow, hello sun:  It’s supposed to be 60+ degrees in Washington tomorrow.
I can’t speak for the rest of you, naturally, but for me, this warm-up isn’t coming a moment too soon.  I’ve had it with winter.  I’m tired of being on the lookout for black ice, or jumping over rivulets of snowmelt, or walking the dog in the road because the sidewalks are covered in more ice than concrete.

I’m tired and often crabby, I have to tell you, because I’m not spending much if any time out-of-doors, which is not as our maker intended, even though my body craves its winter cocoon of house and home, devoid of people other than those who must accept me under any conditions, including seasonal effect disorder and its corresponding ill-humor.
So what am I planning to do with my 60 degree day tomorrow?

Well, for starters, I have the school carpool in the early morning, followed by errands to the dry cleaner, gas station and Starbucks.  After a quick email check, I’ll likely go off in search of a bat mitzvah present for my daughter’s friend, and then I’m off to lunch with a retired colleague, a former colleague and a current colleague.  When that’s done I’ll head home, walk and feed the dog, do an email check, push a load of laundry into the washer, organize dinner…and it will likely be close to 4, at which time my daughter gets home from school and maybe, just maybe, after I listen to her complain about what I’m going to make for dinner, I will sit outside in front of my home on a small bench and drink a glass of wine while I’m drinking in the remains of the sun and the warmth of the day.
And in those few moments in the late February sun, I’ll dream of a small Caribbean island that awaits my family unit at the end of March, and smile.  So long, winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment