Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Lennon






As the 50th anniversary reminiscences of the Beatles’ first visit to the U.S. wind down, I’d like to give a special nod to the wondrous gifts of John Lennon.

In February 1964, I was 11 and “I love Paul” was scrawled across the mirror in my bedroom.  On the walls, a patchwork quilt of Beatle pictures – with a heavy emphasis on Sir Paul – took up every inch of real estate.  Like other young girls my age, I got lost in the romance of the music as I played the records over and over and over again – a habit that would last well into my middle age, in fact. (And still does.)
Even today, I continue to love Paul’s charm, the remarkable resilience in his voice, and his amazing gift with melody.  But when I think of the Beatles, I think most of John Lennon.

Tell Me Why.  Baby It’s You. Twist and Shout.  I’m a Loser.  Help.   You’re Going to Lose that Girl.  In My Life.  Girl.  Tomorrow Never Comes.  A Day in the Life.  Happiness is a Warm Gun.  Revolution.  Across the Universe. 
Stop me before I swoon.    

You can hear the sex, swagger and wit in Lennon’s voice.  There’s a weariness, wariness and sadness too.  My husband said it best as we watched a Beatles retrospective this weekend:  His is the voice of rock and roll.
For the past week or so, I’ve been a bit quiet on the blogging front.  As I sat down this morning, determined to write, I thought of Lennon’s lyric from “Good Morning”:  I’ve got nothing to say but it’s ok.

That’s how I felt until just now.  Because when one considers the artistry, impact and charisma of the late John Lennon, there’s plenty to say.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment