Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Wet Dream






I’ve always dreamed of a retirement home on or near the water.  As a girl who spent a lot of her youth on the Great South Bay and Fire Island beaches, my fantasy last act includes a vision of me scooting around on a boat or lying on a chaise lounge on the deck of my one-level waterfront home, watching and listening to waves lapping the shore.
I may be buying waterfront in the Bronx if climate change predictions are true.

Rising sea levels will make East Coast waterfronts challenging in decades to come.  The rise in sea level in NYC is expected to be nearly 2.5 feet before the end of the century – and in Hampton Roads, Virginia, near Norfolk and Virginia Beach, sea levels are expected to rise by nearly 3 feet.  And then there’s Galveston, Texas at nearly 3.5 feet, etc., etc.
Man, that’s a lot of water!  But I can hear you saying, “Jan…sorry to break this to you…but you probably won’t be around when this happens.”

Indeed.  But it will sure as hell make me think long and hard about any 30 year mortgage obligation for Eastern Seaboard property designed for my dotage.
Of course, the bigger risk (at least, for me) with all of this climate change stuff is the dramatic increase in temperature and all the associated negatives, including allergens, spookily proliferating poison ivy and crappy air quality, to name a few.  As a gal with some respiratory challenges, I can tell you this is not good news and doesn’t augur well for my longevity.

Then again, on the subject of longevity, I believe less can be more.  I just want to have some fun the last decade or two of my life.  See the world.  Eat and cook some good food.  Enjoy some lovely wine and beautiful sunsets.  Bask in the company of my partner for life, David, and my beautiful daughter.
At the same time, I hope our government and others can get their act together on this climate change stuff; it would be nice to leave the planet in decent shape for my girl, her children, and theirs too.

In my next post, I’ll turn my attention to world peace.
Have a good week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment