Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Queen is Cranky




My Queen is in summer school and none too happy about it.  

My Queen also has her summer packet of pre-algebra math assignments and 3 books to read and prepare book reports about – her first graded project of the new school year  -- and she’s starting to feel like it’s enough already.  When does work stop and summer begin?

I feel her pain.  I have worked every summer since I was 15 (really – that’s 45 summers for those who are counting) and I’m not wild about it either.  I’d much rather have a beach house and walk barefoot on the sand every day, risking skin cancer from over-exposure to the sun, ending my day with a lovely meal of lobster or crab or mahi mahi with a crisp Pinot Grigio, please! 

Sigh.  Instead of my beautiful beach fantasy life, it's raining outside while I sit hunched over my computer.  My Queen is reading one of her assigned and “boring” books for the summer, and she’s hungry for a snack after a long school day (she’s eating like a truck driver these days – constantly, but healthily, because she’s growing).  It seems she has decided she only likes fresh salsa with her tortilla chips and not the bottled stuff (as of 3:22 this afternoon) and her tutor is supposed to come tonight and she’s just tired, tired, tired and can’t focus.    
And then:  “What’s for dinner, Mom?  You know I hate pork tenderloin…. I’m a part-time vegetarian. Nevermind, I’ll just have soup and salad.  We don’t have Caesar dressing????!”

Big frown and major stink eye from My Queen directed at her Queen Mother.
I don’t want to eat pork tenderloin tonight either, but too bad – it’s what we have.

Then, who rides up in his white Hyundai Sonata-Steed?  It’s…the King of our castle.  And with Chinese food, too!!  Problem solved.  All is well in the kingdom again…at least until the grim reality of summer school, work and unappetizing dinner options reappears.
In closing, Mrs. Sedd and family will be celebrating our great nation’s birthday by doing as little as possible over the extra-long holiday weekend.  I may miss you all too much and feel compelled to write during that time…but then again, I might not. Let’s let it be a surprise…for all of us.

Enjoy your 4th, be grateful for the fact that sequester didn’t kill our capital city’s fireworks display for all to enjoy on PBS, and eat at least 1 hotdog for me.

Cheers and Happy Birthday, USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment