Monday, July 8, 2013

Power Juggling







Although Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In continues at the top of the New York Times bestseller list, millions of American woman don’t have time to read her book about powering their way to the top of the corporate ladder because they’re spending hours each day and night trying to figure out how to manage the basics of family life and their careers.
As we’ve gotten older and less careerist about our work lives, my husband and I sought flexible arrangements which our employers agreed to:  He works at home on Mondays, and after years of doing the same on Fridays, I recently reduced my schedule to four days a week.  But that still keeps Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in play.  How to manage?

My daughter’s summer school program starts at 9:00 am and it takes a good 30 minutes (or more, depending on traffic) to get to our respective offices.  And then, to manage a 2 pm pick-up at school means leaving the office at 1:30.  The soonest I can get “on line” at home and complete the workday is 60 minutes later.  

Our solution is that on the days my husband picks our daughter up (usually Monday and one other day TBD),  I’ll do the drop off and vice versa.  So if I don’t have to take my daughter to school, I can get in the office by 7:45 and put in 6 solid hours before I have to leave for school pick-up duties.  We’re also part-time car poolers with another mother, and when she does the pick-up from school, I get to stay at the office until 3 before I have to pick up my daughter at the other mother’s home at 3:30.  Are you still with me?  Tired yet? Bored?  Me too.
I hate traffic, by the way. 

When I walk through my front door, lugging my laptop and daughter in tow, the dog is begging for a walk and to be fed.  My daughter is in desperate need of a snack. (Tweens are always hungry because they’re always growing.) That takes about 20 minutes (at least)…
Notice, I didn’t mention my lunch, which came from a vending machine (closer, faster) rather than a restaurant, food truck or fast food place.  Yum.

August was proving to be a true challenge until we talked our daughter into attending a sleep away camp, followed by a 10-day visit to Florida with one of her close friends and her mother.  I’ll miss my daughter terribly, I can tell you – we’ll be Face Timing and texting like mad – but I won’t have to burn through remaining vacation or unpaid leave days, thank god, to cover off the month until school starts again. 

Many female colleagues of mine, especially those who aren’t married or with children, are hungry for the excitement, challenge and bigger better paydays (and golden parachutes!) of the really big jobs in my profession.  They are leaning in like mad and good for them!  However, I don’t want more responsibility or stress-induced adrenalin in my life, thanks very much.  I could really use the money, of course, but that’s what state lotteries are for, eh? 
In the meantime, me and my sisters lean out where we can, lean in if we can, power juggle as many balls as we can, and buy lottery tickets for the Powerball payoff whenever we can. 

Sigh.  At least during the regular school year, pick-up isn't until 3.30.

Happy Monday.
 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment