Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Addicted to Jane







Elizabeth, Anne, Emma, Fanny and Elinor.  Darcy and Knightly, Captain Wentworth….
And Jane. As in Austen.

How many hours of my teenaged years did I spend hunched over an old edition of a Jane Austen novel from the local library? 
I read Jane Austen for fun and romance, drama and tears.  She had a wicked sense of humor and a strong moral code; Jane believed in giving her readers a happy ending, as long as it was just.

The movie versions of Jane’s “greatest hits” – including their modern updates, like Clueless and especially Bridget Jones Diary – have always been accorded places on my “best ever” list, too.  Although Gwyneth Paltrow is a so-so Emma, Jeremy Northam is a witty Knightly; Emma Thompson, a wonderfully soulful Elinor; Jennifer Ehle, a prickly but provocative Elizabeth Bennett; and a hilariously zaftig Renee Zellwigger in a very modern take on Elizabeth Bennett, aka Bridget Jones.  

But above all, there is the one and only Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice) and Mr. Darcy (Bridget Jones’ Diary)…the ultimate Austen dream man!

So forgive me for admitting that  I can’t wait to see Austenland, a new movie about a thirty-something Austen Addict’s vacation at a 24/7 Austen-themed resort in England because of her fixation on Colin Firth's portrayal of Darcy.  (She sounds a little looney, but I can totally go with the premise).

Ok, I suspect the movie won’t be very good.  At the same time, I have a sneaky feeling I'll like it anyway.  I do know there will be a heroine who has been unlucky in love, and other denizens of Austenland who share her “Austenesque angst” about life, love and social standing.  Rivalry, deception, and lots of lovely romantic frisson will be endured before the heroine, and a few others too, encounter the happy ending they deserve (or disappointment they’ve earned).
So while I wait for Austenland to arrive at a theatre near me, this small post about Jane is serving as a “reminder to self” that sometimes the best loved stories are those from your youth.  I never did get to Northanger Abbey…and there’s still a few weeks of summer left…

I bet I can download it for free on my Kindle!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment