Friday, August 16, 2013

When is it really time to go?: A Pop Quiz



As I move into the second half of my 60th year on the planet, I’m trying to be prudent and practical about my future.  Do I really think I’ll live long enough for it to wait until I’m 66 to collect Social Security?  What will I do with the final act of the story that is my life? And most importantly, when is it really time to retire?

 I don’t think I’m ready now answer that last question, but when I find myself nodding in agreement with at least 7 of the statements below, it’s probably time for me to head for the nearest Starbucks and sign up for barista training. 

For those of you closing in on retirement, see how your answers track.

You know it’s time to retire when…(Y/N)

1.       You don’t know the name of anyone you pass in the hallway when you arrive at work in the morning

2.       No one knows who you are either – and they don’t have a clue what you do each day

3.       The average age of your workforce is 26, and they could all be your children

4.       You feel like you need a nap after lunch

5.       Everyone shrugs when you say you can’t communicate what needs to be said in 140 characters or less

6.       You’re the only person in the office who no longer owns a suit

7.       Your secretary knows more about conducting research online than you do

8.       You don’t know what Vine is

9.       Your office-issued smart phone never works for you and furthermore, you don’t really know how it does work

10.   You nod off during meetings

11.   You can easily take a month-long vacation and not be missed at all

12.   You thought BYOD had to do with alcoholic beverages.

As I said, this list is the thing that’s keeping me honest.   I’ll let you know when it’s really time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment