Thursday, August 22, 2013

IM




I hate arguing via text message.  It’s so…aggravating.  Preparing a snappy comeback (take that, oh 12-year-old daughter!) is really hard on my crappy phone’s touch screen where I seem to miss every third letter in what I type.
Yet I’m increasingly turning to text messaging to reach folks because (1) people are hard to reach, despite the fact that their phones go everywhere they go and (2) people hate to make time for phone conversations with each other.   Now that we’ve made our phones so smart, we want them to shut the *#@! up.

This is especially true for my child and her friends:  none of them really enjoy talking on the phone but my-oh-my they love their text messaging.   I originally encouraged my daughter to text because any written language usage was good in my book, but now I’m not so sure.  First off, I’m worried that she will permanently write the letter “u” for “you” and secondly, her tone is sometimes (I really mean often) kind of bossy.
Hmmm.  All of this presents a true dilemma because I’m a word gal.  Speak ‘em, write ‘em, doesn’t matter to me – I’ll write and spew or talk and spew, either way works for me.  But written words, I think have the added benefit of being able to last (until deleted or tossed away, of course) which also makes them more powerful than they sometimes should be.

In any event, all of this is on my mind today because my tween is coming home tonight after spending nearly 3 weeks away from her overbearing Mom.  In breathless anticipation of our reunion, it seems we’re getting back into mother-daughter practice by engaging in a few texting jousts over admittedly small stuff but stuff, nevertheless.  All I want is a hug when she comes home, and I fear that what I’ll get is attitude.  All she wants is her way and, what she fears she’ll get is her fearsome helicopter mom. 
We’re both right.

Thank god school starts next week.  Thank god the world will return to the routines that matter and the reality of our relationships as a family.
Signing off for this week because I have way too many back-to-school errands to get done before Monday and I need sufficient time to match wills with my daughter.

Have a great weekend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment