Monday, August 26, 2013

Back to School





My daughter’s extended August vacation jaunts to camp and Florida are over and the cooler mornings of the fall are just around the bend.
In the 3 days since her return…

1.       Her father rimmed our driveway and stairs up to the front door with nearly 2 dozen balloons and posted a “Welcome Back” sign so that my daughter knows how much she was missed while she was gone.  (I think she got the message.)

2.       My daughter’s had light highlights put in her hair under the trusted care of my colorist.  Given her young age (2 months away from the big 1-3) I wanted to be sure that they would be subtle but satisfy her thirst for blonde.  We settled on a pretty caramel-color – beautiful -- and even her father approves!

3.       I’ve spent $200 at Staples on school supplies.  And here’s the thing:  We didn’t deviate much from the list of required items from the school.  I’m talking notebook, dividers, pencils and pens, math tools (protractor, calculator, rule, etc.), dictionary, highlighters, paper, lock for the locker…that sort of stuff.  Wow.  When did pens become so bloody expensive?

4.       My daughter and I put together most, if not all, of the above items in said notebook so we are properly prepared for the important work of 7th grade learning.

5.       I’ve taken a gaggle of neighborhood girls to the movies at the Mall to see the new Percy Jackson movie.  Now, if only I could get my daughter to read the book!

6.       My daughter finalized 3 book reports on summer reading assignments – which will receive the first grade of her new school year.  My daughter did these on her own, and it’s pretty clear she’s not into novels.  I’m just saying….:-(

7.       I interrupted the iPad production of a zombie movie directed by my daughter and featuring above-mentioned gaggle of neighborhood girls.

8.       We celebrated a summer Sunday night with an impromptu barbeque with our next door neighbors and our respective girls. 
Bliss.  Life feels like its settling back into that lovely rhythm of school-life-work. 

Here’s to Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment