Thursday, September 5, 2013

Politics








Ok, I’m in a slightly surly mood today, so fair warning about this post.

I hate politics.

When I was younger, I loved political give and take.   The shifting alliances, issues that gained traction because they mattered, building of coalitions, the importance of consensus and art of governance – this stuff dazzled my imagination.  Access to issues, decision makers, and major media helped me build and focus my career in Washington, D.C. because I actually felt some passion about politics.
I’m not going to go into the toxic stew of party “base-baiting,” big money and bigger egos that seem to move in ways contrary to the mood, will and political intention of the country today – a time when too many people are still out of work and too many wars demand our nation’s attention and participation.

And I’m not going to get into Syria, although I’m deeply troubled by events there. 
I am going to briefly comment, however, on leadership.

The post-World War II era ended on September 11, 2001.  All the old paradigms changed with the slow and steady rise of Jihadists coupled with the great “globalism” that has permanently altered old notions of economic independence.
In this ridiculously small, interdependent world we live in, two wars and a Great Recession later, our country seems politically adrift.   There are many reasons for this – a Congress unwilling to govern because so many of our elected officials don't believe in government; a president who has struggled with a willingness to lead and an inability of late to get things done in the face of virulently negative political opposition at home; a rapidly changing and increasingly diverse population whose interests are ignored by many of our political representatives; and now, indeed, skepticism from longstanding as well as begrudging “friends and allies” abroad.

I happen to think the President did the right thing in going to the Congress for approval of a punitive action against Syria; others disagree, which can do in a democracy as long as we ultimately all agree that something needs to be done and then go about the business of doing it.

In the coming weeks and months -- in addition to a likely intervention against a ruthless despot who is unafraid to use weapons of mass destruction -- we face the strong possibility of a government shut down and yet another equally dangerous debt ceiling showdown that could send my retirement savings off a cliff and, I suspect, yours too. 
What can we do to influence the course of events?  Send John Boehner an email?  Hope Mitch McConnell loses his Senate seat this fall?  Pray that the President rediscovers the fact that he does have a mandate to govern?

When all else fails, “In God We Trust.”  Right?
Let’s hope she’s listening.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment