Friday, September 13, 2013

Hormonal








It’s the bigtime for hormones in the must read New England Journal of Medicine.
According to a study published Wednesday, it seems that estrogen, the female sex hormone, plays a big role in men’s bodies – much bigger than anyone ever thought – and that our menfolk, too, suffer from expanding waistlines with falling levels of estrogen in middle age.

I am not authorized to speak on my husband’s behalf regarding these findings, so I won’t.  As for me, however, I miss my estrogen for lots of reasons, but mostly because of the whole tire around the middle/low metabolism/libido stuff associated with its decline.
That said, I wouldn’t want to go through menopause again, oh no.  Hot flashes? They’re not the greatest. The whole bipolar wackiness thing I experienced during the, ahem, “transition”? Not ok.
Still, I opted out of estrogen therapy because breast cancer is not on my bucket list. 
Once they've heard this news, watch how quickly men start worrying about menopause and breasts and stuff that they really thought was just our problem.  Now menopause is truly everyone’s problem.

I find some comfort in that, I do. 





No comments:

Post a Comment