Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Gonzo for a Condo



Is it time for my husband and I to begin imagining a future of condo-living?
Maybe, we thought, when we decided to visit a beautiful 2 bedroom in a new, very upscale building in a revitalized part of Washington, D.C. (which really is a city, after all).



I could see myself sitting at a little round table parked next to a window in the small but totally brand new kitchen, watching young Vikings more than half my age stride purposefully to work and back.  The building has a roof terrace with a spectacular Washington view of the Capitol and the Monument,  as well as a lap pool for pretend swimming, a party room and a big, well-appointed gym.  Best of all, the neighborhood has a nice, busy vibe, and is about 10 blocks (but a long 10 blocks) away from my office.  There’s a saloon next door and a wine store/gourmet grocery across the street.  There’s also a CVS  adjacent to the building – so very convenient for aging hipsters like my husband and me as we add new (prescribed!) drugs to our daily health rituals because of growing a little older each year.
My husband liked the condo too, although it would be a challenge to his very being to have to make choices about what possessions could transition into much closer living quarters.  Our mutual concern about making the leap at this moment in time is the safety and security of our daughter, who has been truly spoiled by our wonderfully safe suburban enclave of a neighborhood and the ease of having friends right next door to hang with.  City living would be a shock to her system – and a smallish condo bedroom doesn’t provide nearly enough room for her to “escape” from us , which during the teenage years (as we are discovering) will likely be a daily requirement for her.

So, for now, my husband and I have agreed to stay put in our quite adequate home on a hill in Arlington, VA, with its 2 flights of stairs that are tough on the knees.  However, I’m excited that we’re actually kind of looking around at real estate again and contemplating a different kind of lifestyle for our dotage – but one that could actually keep things a bit fizzy and fun without having to resort to knee replacement surgery.
Here’s to “next acts” in life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment