Monday, January 6, 2014

Blue Monday


Welcome to 2014!  I hope you enjoyed your holidays with family or friends, celebrated your good fortune or hopes for the future, relished the yummy food and wine and treats that came your way, and caught a few movies (unless, of course, you were somewhere warm and near a beach, in which case, I hope you caught a few waves instead).

However, the end-of-year relief and New Year sense of optimism perhaps has faded as we face the first Monday of the year with a mix of trepidation or wooly-headedness from being away from work or our usual routines.  An early morning news program used the term “Blue Monday” to describe this phenomenon.

Blue Monday acknowledges the reality that only 7 percent of us will even attempt to keep those new year’s resolutions to exercise an hour a day or lose 30 pounds or meet the man or woman of our dreams; rather we know all too well that what lies ahead is more work, some drudgery, likely weight gain and early morning alarm clock noises designed to drag our sorry asses out of bed and into the mundane realities of daily living.
Sigh.  Consider the alternative if Blue Monday’s got you down, as I do now that I am nearly a senior citizen.   Rather, here’s what I choose to focus on for my year ahead (in no particular order) – helping to shake the blues free of Blue Monday in no time at all:

1.     I haven’t had a cold or bronchitis yet this year, and hopefully I’ll get through the better part of the year ahead without one!

2.       St. Lucia, St. Lucia, St. Lucia for a spring vacation.

3.       Happy and healthy child, happy and healthy husband.

4.       My cozy home and sweet shit-zhu, Shasha.

5.       Parents who are still living.

6.       Two sisters I love very much (and some pretty swell in-laws, too).

7.       Friends who matter to me. (And I seem to matter to them, too!  A lovely feeling, indeed).

8.       A good stock market.

9.       Income.

10.   This blog, a.k.a., Mrs. Sedd’s substitute for therapy.
While I will have other new year’s observations or wishes to share in the days ahead or as they occur to me, here’s hoping you lose those Monday blues too and embrace the new year ahead with optimism, resolve and a sense of humor.

We’ll talk.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment