Thursday, January 23, 2014

The 7 Year Itch








As you may remember from my last post, my husband and I are starting to think about how and where we might want to live in our dotage which, of course, has immediately taken me to the “home improvement” space for our current abode. 
For example, I’ve never liked the granite counters in my kitchen -- I’m thinking something a little less black and brown and a little more creamy white and tan might just make it feel more “now.”

Then there are the occasional marks on the walls that are crying out for touch-up paint.  My husband, eager to please, fixed a few marks on a lower wall in our kitchen so that it looked (nearly) brand new.  But he had less luck in our stairwell and hallway; our “Sedate Grey” paint seems to have turned  50 shades of something in the years since its original application – so we now have little marks of slightly “off” touch-up work on both sides of the stairwell and in the hall way – a sedater “speckling” of grey, if you will.  This has produced a serious OCD response (hives) on my part, nearly forcing my husband to consider sending the padded wagon for me.  Again.
Angie??  This is a "Big Deal" -- I need a painter -- cheap -- stat!!

I’m also a little bit bored with our lovely but 14 year old sofas; I’ve been daydreaming about re-upholstery for a while now…but there’s my handy hubby again, armed with the sofa cleaning attachment to our rug cleaning machine, making the cushions look (nearly) new again.
So why am I so antsy???

We’ve been in our house 7.5 years – the 7 Year Itch! Of course!
Plus it’s January, it’s cold, I’m 61 and achy, I’m a little bored, I’ve got seasonal affect disorder:  How many reasons do I need?

This too shall pass, I know.  But in the meantime, I’m dreaming of a gleaming white, brand new condo…in the city…with closets and room enough for 3 in a neighborhood that is lively day or night.
Scratch, scratch.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment