Monday, March 3, 2014

White Out

Ok, that’s it.  I’m officially over snow.

While I’ve enjoyed a few extra days away from the office this winter, as anyone would,  enough already.  I’m really tired of that cooped-up, it's snowing heavily and I can't go anywhere feeling.  Then there's the concern about doing a 180 on the road if you hit ice, or getting stuck in a snowdrift, or stepping outside your front door and falling on black ice…stuff that could (1) kill you (2) seriously injure you or (3) confine you to bed or the chair in your family room for an indefinite period.

Nononononono!

And then there's that little thing called work.  I’ve tried to work from home but I’ve had intermittent problems with our wireless (working very sloow-ly) or our office server, making it hard to be responsive.  But let's face it:  it’s just not the same as being in the office.  Yes, we’re all about the “virtual office” these days and the flexibility and other benefits associated with telework…but it’s just not as effective as popping into someone’s office for an answer to your question or their's.

I’m also worried, too, that my daughter has fallen out love with school in favor of breakfast and texting in bed, a late shower, and maybe a Netflix movie and a pizza in the afternoon.  Of course, she is a teenager now, so that explains things, I suppose.  Can’t blame languorous teenage behavior on snow.

And then there’s my wonderful husband who is feeling just a wee bit testy as well – too much family togetherness, I guess, this weekend and not enough alone time.

I get it.  Me too.  Not enough alone time.

Tomorrow is another day and I’m sure (if there is school), we’ll have a 2 hour delay in the morning, which means late to work and the problems that presents (like 9am conference calls you can’t do, etc., etc.).  Sigh.

BUT:  When feeling housebound, there are always things one can do to press the “reset” button on your mood.  Read a book.  Try a recipe.  Take a nap.

Today, I suspect I’ll do all three. as I try to remember that spring is coming. Someday.

P.S.  If you like snow and you like Scandinavian thrillers, try Smilla’s Sense of Snow (not the movie, which is silly, but the book – which is also silly but so well written you forgive the author his turn into ridiculousness in the final 3rd of the book).

Time to make a snowman.


No comments:

Post a Comment