Monday, October 21, 2013

Gravity


Sometimes I feel lead-footed and unable to rise above the petty annoyances of the day.  When that happens it’s usually because I feel pulled back to earth by the realities of work, government shutdowns, money (or lack of it), parenting kids, worrying about elderly parents, and managing snakes in and outside of the house.  (Although I am happy to report we haven’t had any internal snake sightings in the past 2 weeks.)

When that happens, I try to find things that help me “float above” my silly travails -- which is why, this week, I’m deeply involved in the world of Bridget Jones.  For those of you who may not remember Ms. Jones, she is that plucky and sometimes plump British woman -- so beautifully played  on film by Renee Zellwegger -- of the world whose life and loves has made me and many others laugh 'til our stomachs hurt.

In a recently published, new installment of Ms. Jones’ diary, Bridget is now 51, mother to 2 children under the age of 8, and a widow to boot.  Battling the bulge while fighting grief and depression with a tendency to indulge in both food and alcohol “units,”, Bridget is an everywoman at a particularly delicate stage of life:  No longer young but with young children, no longer “hip” though  wickedly funny and no longer “sexy” but definitely “sensual.”
I have to tell you, I laughed out loud at least a dozen times last night while reading Bridget Jones:  Mad about the Boy.

 And that leads me to today’s “lesson.”  When gravity is pulling you down, go for something that can lighten your mood.  Right now, for me, that’s the life of one Bridget Jones as immortalized by author Helen Fielding.  She’s delightful.  And as a woman of a certain age, I can certainly relate.
I can’t wait for the movie.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment