Monday, October 7, 2013

Hot Water


My husband and I have had an ongoing power struggle over what is now a 14-year old hot tub.
Purchased in the early days of our marriage, the hot tub served as a much needed remedy for my husband’s middle-aged aches and pains (and mine, too). 

For the last 5 years (give or take a few months) the hot tub has remained empty and unused due to some mechanical something or another.  Woodland creatures have chewed one of the exterior siding panels, which have faded from the elements. 
The first year, maybe I didn’t mind this so much, but by this Spring, I was pretty tired of looking at the decaying hot tub that was taking up nearly one-quarter of the real estate on our small patio.  Not too long ago, I vowed to my husband that I would hire minions to take it away one afternoon if we didn’t repair it.

Thanks a lot, John Boehner.

My husband, as most of you know, is presently a non-essential worker of the U.S. government.  He has some time on his hands while the Tea Party anarchists who are currently running our country into the ground make it impossible for him to work. 
Anticipating the lengths that these radical wingnuts would go to, I helpfully made a list of things – suggestions, really – that my husband might want to do to occupy his time during a government shutdown.

He made his own list and at the top of it?  The hot tub.
The scrubbing took a few days last week but I have to confess my husband did a great job.  Next, he went to Home Depot and had a piece of wood cut to exact specifications. This week he’ll begin to reconstruct and stain the exterior of the hot tub so that it doesn’t look like a hideout for survivalist vagabonds (or rats).

At the end of this week will come the ministrations of an electrician, who, I have been lead to believe, will resurrect the hot tub as a working symbol of the good life.
We will have roiling hot water again, to soothe our aches and pains.  And I will never be able to get rid of the damn thing.

John Boehner’s fondness for hot water has seeped into my life in more ways than one, it seems.  Then again, I guess I have lots of company on that score.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment